Thursday, October 25, 2012

Dealing with the Veterans Administration Part 1-The Injury





My friends on Facebook  always see me posting rants about my dealings with the VA so I thought that I would write a blog post on how the system works, or in many cases does not work. Once again this is from my perspective and my personal dealings with them. After all these years I am still not totally clear on how the system is supposed to work but I will try and explain what I have figured out so far.

The VA has a system in which if you are injured during your time in service, whether that is just regular duty or serving in a war that you can file a claim for compensation from the VA. Compensation is basically the same thing as workman’s compensation like you get from a civilian job. It is a monthly stipend they send to you to compensate the veteran if they incur an injury or condition that ultimately affects their way of life in the long run. For the purposes of this blog post I will use the injury to my foot as an example.

While serving in Iraq at some point I injured my Achilles tendon on my right foot. I do not remember a specific instance of injuring it but instead a basic timeline of when I really started to notice it. After about 5 months in country, around October-November 2009, my foot started to ache all the time and when I would walk or run it felt as if someone was stabbing me in the heel with an icepick. This went on for several months until one of the sergeants got tired of seeing me limping around and told me to go to sick call, which I eventually did. My company medics were not sure what the problem was so I got sent to the battalion aid station. The battalion surgeon took one look at my foot and said, “Yeah you’re probably going to have to have surgery on that when you get back to the states”.

Basically at some point I partially tore my Achilles tendon and it never got a chance to heal so I kept getting what they call micro tears in the tendon where it inserts into the back of my heel bone. The body’s reaction to that was to calcify around the injury and in so doing created a large bone lump on the back of my heel. Basically it looked like someone had put half a golf ball under the skin of my heel, that’s how much it stuck out.

So long story short I just dealt with the pain, finished out my tour, and went home.  I tried to go to the VA a couple months after our return but was not able to accomplish anything as all my paperwork had not been completed by the military so I had to wait for that to happen before I was able to start the process of getting my foot fixed. Finally in early November of 2010, we came home in May of 2010, I got my paperwork, essentially a form called a L.O.D. which stands for Line of Duty meaning that I had injured my foot while on active duty.

So I was finally able to go to the VA and have them take a look at my foot, of course it was not that easy. When I finally saw a doctor he absolutely insisted that I had to do physical therapy first, even though I had paperwork showing that it was a surgical issue. But he said according to VA policy he HAD to send me to physical therapy first. Thankfully his assistant was a former Navy medic and as soon as the doctor left he told me he would put me in for a surgical consult instead of an appointment for physical therapy, probably saved me six months’ of wasted time with that simple gesture and I am eternally grateful to him for it. The timeline is important because I wanted to get this all taken care of and healed up because I had volunteered for an upcoming deployment to Afghanistan, sadly that would not happen.

Three weeks later I got an appointment at orthopedics and as soon as the doctor saw my foot he told me I would have to have surgery. Really? I never would have guessed. So the date was set, February 25th of 2011 would be my surgery. You know, only 10 months’ after I got home. And so would begin my journey through the wretched VA healthcare system.

When I had my initial consult with the actual surgeon I explained to him my timeline and how I really wanted to go on the upcoming deployment to Afghanistan. At that point in time the unit was expected to leave around July-August of 2011. The doctor told me that would not be a problem. He said that after the surgery I would be in a plaster cast for 2 weeks, then a fiberglass cast for 6 weeks, than a splint for 6 weeks then some physical therapy and I would be good to go, Liiiiiieeeeeessssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!

Finally February rolls around and it is time for surgery. Let me just say this really quick. Anyone that has known me for any length of time knows that over my lifetime I have been broken and bloodied on more than one occasion so I am no real stranger to pain. I have never in my life been in so much pain as I was after that surgery, holy cow. They gave me Vicoden for the pain and I seriously could not eat enough of those things. I think I went through 120 pills in a month, no joke.  When I woke up at home after surgery and after the general anesthesia had worn off it was such a bone deep, searing, absolutely miserable pain that I would not wish it on anyone, well maybe a couple people but that’s not the point. I don’t remember doing it but I apparently called the on call surgeon and gave him an earful in many colorful terms of endearment.

This will be a multi post blog, this is the first part and I will write more in the next couple of days.

No comments: