Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Why I do it.

A friend of mine recently asked me why I do it, and why did I volunteer to go to Iraq. I usually answer with an off the cuff remark or just say that the economy in Michigan sucks so bad that I am just doing it for the money. But there are many reasons why I do it so here are a few of them.

I don’t want to be a fly on the wall, I want to actively participate in something that is bigger than my self, even if I do not totally agree with the initial motivations for the wars ( well at least one of them ). I do it for all the soldiers that have come before me and come home wounded or worse yet did not make it home at all. I do it in the hopes that none of my nephews, cousins, godchildren, friend’s children or for that matter any ones children have to go serve in these wars 15 or 20 years from now. I do it for money, I won’t lie. I do it for college money and for retirement money. I do it because besides all the unfairness in the world and even in our country I love America and am grateful to be a citizen of America. I do it because I enjoy being in the military and I missed being part of it even though there are some days I hate it. I do it because I actually feel as if I am making a difference in some people’s lives even though I do not personally know them. I do it because the very presence of U.S. soldiers in some parts of Iraq saves the lives of thousands of people that I feel deserve to be saved. I do it for the other soldiers standing there next to me. I do it because I want to see with my own eyes what is actually going on in the world and I do not want to rely on the horrible news coverage that our so called journalists report on. I do it because besides my sometimes negativity I still believe that I can help make a positive impact in the world. I do it so that all the people I know have a constant reminder that there are people still serving overseas and putting their lives in danger for them. I do it because I hate bullies and that is what I think most insurgents are and I honestly do not have a problem with the idea of completely eradicating them from this earth. I do it because I am deep down an adrenaline junkie and some where along my life I have lost all sense of excitement and I wanted it back. I do it because I have hit some kind of crossroad in my life and was not exactly sure which road to take. I do it because I feel it is making me a better person both mentally and physically.

And last but not least I do it for you, my friends and family, so that maybe even if just a little bit I can make you feel safer knowing that my fellow soldiers and I have your back.

And yes, my service here in Iraq on this current tour has changed the way I look at and feel about things to a certain extent.

8 comments:

Nancy said...

Safe travels Jim...thank you for your work on our behalf and your writing about it. I'll be following your future posts with great interest...enjoyed your AA Chronicle article this morning very much.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Jim, not only for serving in Iraq but also for your beautifully elogquent post. Knowing you and learning about your experience and thoughts with the military has really helped change my perspective on the war and the military in general. I knew before you left that of course there were good people serving in Iraq and Afghanistan, people who were there because they wanted to make a positive impact, but your voice has caused a shift in my thinking. It's helping me to see the good not only in our involvement overseas, but also that there is an inherent goodness in humanity that I had lost sight of. You're truly an inspiration.

Mad props and keep up the good work!!! Can't wait to see you in May :)

Anonymous said...

I 100% agree with what Heather said. Thank YOU Jim, for all you do for the good people in Iraq and our military AND us here at home. I think of you often and I am so glad to hear your point of view on things over there. You are truly an inspiration and I only wish I knew more people like you here in NC. That's what I get living in the South though ;-) Very proud of you and again....MANY thanks for your service and keep spreading the good vibes of the American people to everyone over there!!!

Blacky Hix said...

We're like Diogenes the Cynic strolling the ancient streets of Athens with our little lamps desperately searching for an honest man...

And here you appear in sandstorm blind blogs.

These words will never surrender.

Judy Foy said...

Thank you, Jim
My thanks and my thoughts are with you.

Anonymous said...

Really fine post Jim.
Thank you for your service, and thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Safe-

JOsh

Unknown said...

I can relate and wholeheartedly agree with you Jim. Drive on.

Unknown said...

I can relate, Jim and I agree with your sentiments wholeheartedly. Drive on.